Ruksana Hussain is an award-winning journalist with 20 years of experience working with local, national and international print and digital media for consumer and trade markets. As a magazine editor, features generalist, and contributing writer for outlets such as Apartment Therapy, Luxury Travel Magazine, California Apparel News, Dining Out, Delta Skylines, Edible Business Insider, Traveler and Tourist – which is her own publication – and many more, Ruksana covers diverse beats and topics spanning from lifestyle to travel cuisine to culture, business, wellness, technology, and much more.
- Ruksana walks us through the life of a freelance journalist: she writes for many different platforms, local and international; As a freelance journalist, you can also offer small businesses different services such as copy editing, email marketing and proofreading.
- Let’s write an advertorial: Ruksana analyzes the difference between writing for a marketing campaign and writing for editorial. Nowadays, there’s a thin line between the two. It depends on who your client is, your audience, the outlet, and overall message.
- Besides publishing bylines, she is also a ghostwriter. But what does this mean exactly? Ruksana discusses the ethics of this work.
- For anyone interested in being a freelance writer, Ruksana recommends using facebook groups, looking for opportunities everywhere, putting yourself out there, and introducing yourself and what you are capable of.
- Ruksana is open to being pitched, but please, do your research! Check if she is the best writer for your project If you have a specific outlet in mind, let her know upfront.