A former CBS reporter, today’s “Guest Trifecta” is Toni Harrison, the founder and CEO of Etched Communication and Managing Partner and President of the Ten35 Agency. Toni has managed award-winning public relations campaigns for a diverse client roster that includes Fortune-ranked organizations, global consumer brands, governmental entities, and community-based nonprofits. As a former journalist, she also has an in-depth understanding of the 24/7 news cycle and unmatched expertise in helping clients navigate crises and high-profile interviews.
- We discuss Toni’s journey from graduating college to going back and forth professionally between journalism and public relations. Spoiler: her passion for PR won!
- We talk about how Toni decided to start a business of her own: she created Etched Communication, a PR firm, which then became part of Ten35, a comprehensive communications firm.
- Toni explains why press releases should actually be called news releases. Also, she gives her opinion on whether the news release concept is dead or not.
- Toni explains the importance of having a content strategy when using news releases: being methodical and strategic is key.
- Toni talks about the realities of Pay for Plays and why the blurred lines between PR and advertising are a serious disservice to the industry and consumers.
- Toni gives out her best advice for cultivating relationships with reporters, writers, and peers.
- Using our voices and communication skills are key factors in order to progress towards a more inclusive world and we can’t deny it. Toni explains more of this topic in this article.